A test trench based on geophysical data revealed the full dimensions of the trench fortification of the Tombos town (ancient Taroy). The fortifications enclosed a very large area, over 238 meters east-west to the river and 246 meters going north-south. A similar feature at Sesebi was only about 80 meters to a side. The fortifications at Tombos were larger than any other Egyptian colony. Only the later enclosure at Sesebi was nearly as big; most of the other colonies in Sudanese and Egyptian Nubia were much smaller.
This fortification began to fill with trash at the end of the 18th Dynasty, around 1300 BCE, but parts were reused and/or continued to fill with trash during the Ramesside and even Napatan periods.